Deprecated: parse_str(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /var/www/html/blog.klevermind.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/class.jetpack.php on line 4070
From Preschool to Kindergarten
The transition from preschool to Kindergarten is the next big step in a child’s life. Kindergarten is more structured and more elaborate in studies and requires a lot of grasping, understanding and expressing. Nonetheless, you can make it easier for your child if you start preparing for the big school well in advance.
Social and Emotional Development:
- See that your child plays and mingles willingly with his/her peers
- Make him/her aware of the surroundings, the routes, directions and landmarks.
- Encourage him/her to persist in the given task and ask for help politely. Challenge them with tasks little higher than their current capabilities.
- Let them clean up after their food, play or other activities.
Language and Communication:
- Read aloud to your child for at least 20 mins every day and ask them questions and encourage interactions.
- Encourage them to read road signs, cereal boxes, story books and even newspaper headlines.
- He/she should be able to read and write their own name and know their parents’ name, contact numbers and home address.
- He/she should be able to communicate about their needs (like going to the toilet, feeling hungry) and seek help wherever required.
Physical and Cognitive Development:
- Encourage your child to go out and play. To do activities like cycling, skipping, playing catch.
- Practice counting and numbers as much as possible.
- See that they are aware of shapes and colors around them.
- They should be independent in few daily tasks like going to the restroom or tying shoelaces, zipping and buttoning their clothes, sharing their lunchbox etc.
- Instill some routine about their sleep and eating time as per the school timings.
Other than these, most importantly, your love and positive affirmations will help your child cruise through this transition in a smooth easy confident way!